Re: AMD64 for sarge [<rant> Package: ftpmasters, Severity: serious, ...]

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 21:04, Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:
> > You're not suggesting that amd64 is going to
> > run aground like ia64 did....?
>
> Why not? With the exception of i386 and sparc, pretty much everything
> else has. Processors don't win or lose based on anything, but, uhh....
>
> ...sheer luck? I can't think of anything else.

It's marketing.  AMD64 has a significant advantage in that it can run i386
programs at full speed.  This is so significant that now Intel are doing the
same thing.

It shouldn't be long before all Intel and AMD CPUs that run the i386 ISA will
also run AMD64.  Then all that's left is for VIA to do the same and there
will be almost no 32bit Intel CPUs on the market.