Re: Debian AMD64 Port - still waiting on ftpmaster

Chris Cheney <ccheney@cheney.cx> writes:

> The Debian AMD64 port now has more installed packages than even powerpc
> making it the second most complete port behind i386.[1]  The port is
> still waiting on Scott Remnant to fix dpkg and for James Troup to allow

A dpkg update is scheduled but no priority is given to the one line
fix for amd64. And why should it, amd64 isn't even an official port,
yada yada yada.:(

> it into the archive. I sent an email to ftpmaster over 2 weeks ago with
> no response about the archive issue.

The bugreport asking for amd64 to be included is 55 days old now
without a responce by ftp-master:

> Also, I am starting to get questions from companies and universities
> running Debian asking when amd64 will be an official port since they
> are planning to switch to Fedora/SUSE if it is not soon. Do we really
> want to lose users of a popular platform due to a couple DD's lack of
> response? If you are concerned about this issue as well perhaps an email
> to ftpmaster@debian.org could help persuade them this is a larger issue
> than they realize.

At the recent Linuxtag there where many users and even some firms
asking questions about amd64. The intrest and the port is there. Now
its ftp-masters obligation to support it (with the users being the
first priority of Debian and all).

> Thanks,
>
> Debian AMD64 Port Team
>

> [1] http://www.buildd.net/buildd/Installed_stats.png

> Package Details (counted in source packages):
>
>       Known:    8376 (   8423)
>   Installed:    8160 [ 97.42%]
>   Uploading:       1
>    Building:       0
> Needs-build:       0
>    Dep-Wait:     109
>      Failed:      42
>      Broken:      64
>  Not-For-Us:      47

Some explanation to these numbers (which don't seem to correspond to
the stats on www.buildd.net :). All counts include main, contrib and
non-free (this and www.buildd.net/buildd.d.o). The stats above also
include binary-all packages while www.buildd.net/buildd.d.o exclude
those.

Excluding binary-all we get:

http://www.buildd.net/buildd/amd64_stats

Distribution unstable:
---------------------
Installed       :  5359
Failed          :   107
Dep-Wait        :   109
Not-For-Us      :    47
total           :  5477

 97.85% (5359) up-to-date,  97.85% (5359) including uploaded
  3.94% (216) failed/dep-wait
  0.86% ( 47) need porting or cause the buildd serious grief

Installed packages (sorted by count):
i386      5595  99.88%
amd64     5359  97.85%
powerpc   5296  98.57%