Re: Freeswan in Debian, or: Why I am such a bad maintainer

Here is a very simple example:
- the method works with manual keying or any IKE daemon
- any packets from IPsec peers will be fully trusted and not be screened
further by netfilter

Step 1: Identify packets in mangle table

iptables --table mangle -A PREROUTING -p esp -j MARK --set-mark 1

Step 2: Allow packets in filter table

iptables --table filter --insert INPUT --match mark --mark 1 -j ACCEPT

Explanation:

When packets traverse the PREROUTING chain of the 'mangle' table, they are
still encrypted.  At this point, they can be marked.  The firewall mark
remains with the packet even after the packet is decrypted.  When it
reaches the INPUT (or possibly FORWARD) chain of the 'filter' table, the
packet still bears the mark.

This example assumes that you completely trust any packets from any hosts
you have chosen to accept IPsec packets from.

You could make the rules tighter to only allow IPsec packets from specific
hosts, networks or interfaces.