Re: Freeswan in Debian, or: Why I am such a bad maintainer

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 02:39:38PM +0200, Rene Mayrhofer wrote:
> Marc Haber wrote:
> >Go ahead. I hope that openswan sucks less than freeswan and the
> >native 2.6 stuff.
> It does. I've tried :)

>From what I've seen, it is still at war with the kernel's routing
machinery, but at least it allows me to rename my interfaces.

> >May I suggest creating a pkg-openswan project on alioth, along with a
> >-devel mailing list?
> The good thing is: it actually shouldn't be necessary. Most of the
> Debian packaging is already included in upstream 2.1.4, so I will mostly
> do compiles, uploads, and send patches their way whenever I fix bugs in
> or enhance the Debian packaging stuff. There is already a discussion
> about a Debian IPSec mailing list going on.

In my experience, a -devel mailing list is great for discussions like
this (which really should be on freeswan-devel).

For the case of Debian-ipsec, I won't count on it. When I requested a
debian-exim4 list, I didn't even receive an answer for months. My
recommendation: If you need a mailing list concerned with a package,
make one yourself, on alioth.

exim4 is also a good example that you don't create an external mailing
list with the intention of moving it to Debian infrastructure at some
later time. Users won't acceppt it.

Greetings
Marc

Karlsruhe, Germany |  lose things."    Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 721 966 32 15
Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 721 966 31 29