Re: Freeswan in Debian, or: Why I am such a bad maintainer
- To: Rene Mayrhofer <email@example.com>
- Cc: Bastian Blank <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Dominique Kaiser <email@example.com>, Giacomo Mulas <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Steven Augart <email@example.com>, Lupe Christoph <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Anthony DeRobertis <email@example.com>, Andrew Pimlott <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Wichert Akkerman <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, Alexander Hvostov <email@example.com>, Daniel Pocock <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Russell Stuart <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, Christoph Martin <email@example.com>, Alexei Ustyuzhaninov <alust@UralskyGSM.com>, Marc Haber <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Jason Spence <email@example.com>, Mike Fedyk <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Luca Fornasari <email@example.com>, Torsten Knodt <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Christian Perrier <email@example.com>, Luk Claes <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, Nate Carlson <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: Freeswan in Debian, or: Why I am such a bad maintainer
- From: Marc Haber <email@example.com>
- Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:33:37 +0200
- Message-id: <[🔎] 20040628123337.GK6752@torres.ka0.zugschlus.de>
- In-reply-to: <[🔎] 40E00DDA.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <[🔎] 40E00DDA.email@example.com>
On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 02:23:54PM +0200, Rene Mayrhofer wrote:
> Right now, it is not possible to use the
> freeswan-modules-source package with a kernel source (yes, the
> kernel-headers package is not enough for the freeswan KLIPS
> compilation....) that does not already have the NAT patch applied.
Actually, I wasn't able to build any kernel-modules at all, not even
with the Debian patched kernel (see #245072).
> So I would like to hear from current freeswan users if they could switch
> to openswan right now and if not, what is missing. freeswan is dead, we
> need to face it. Supporting it in Debian would mean to maintain a
> private source tree (to fix security issue etc.) and there are already
> two different followup projects.
I have tried openswan yesterday and it seems to be able to communicate
with freeswan. So I will update my freeswan gateways one after the
other in the next few days/weeks.
> So please tell me what you think. If there's no real compelling reason
> to keep both, I'd really like to drop freeswan in favor of openswan.
Go ahead. I hope that openswan sucks less than freeswan and the
native 2.6 stuff.
May I suggest creating a pkg-openswan project on alioth, along with a
-devel mailing list?
Marc Haber | "I don't trust Computers. They | Mailadresse im Header
Karlsruhe, Germany | lose things." Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 721 966 32 15
Nordisch by Nature | How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 721 966 31 29