Re: Freeswan in Debian, or: Why I am such a bad maintainer

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 02:23:54PM +0200, Rene Mayrhofer wrote:
> Right now, it is not possible to use the
> freeswan-modules-source package with a kernel source (yes, the
> kernel-headers package is not enough for the freeswan KLIPS
> compilation....) that does not already have the NAT patch applied.

Actually, I wasn't able to build any kernel-modules at all, not even
with the Debian patched kernel (see #245072).

> So I would like to hear from current freeswan users if they could switch
> to openswan right now and if not, what is missing. freeswan is dead, we
> need to face it. Supporting it in Debian would mean to maintain a
> private source tree (to fix security issue etc.) and there are already
> two different followup projects.

I have tried openswan yesterday and it seems to be able to communicate
with freeswan. So I will update my freeswan gateways one after the
other in the next few days/weeks.

> So please tell me what you think. If there's no real compelling reason
> to keep both, I'd really like to drop freeswan in favor of openswan.

Go ahead. I hope that openswan sucks less than freeswan and the
native 2.6 stuff.

May I suggest creating a pkg-openswan project on alioth, along with a
-devel mailing list?

Greetings
Marc

Karlsruhe, Germany |  lose things."    Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 721 966 32 15
Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 721 966 31 29