Re: mass bug gnustep programs: policy violation

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 12:12:18PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:56:00AM +0200, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> > In the specific case you point, files could be probably moved in
> > the right places and a sym link could be created in /usr/lib/<app>
> > to avoid breaking the application. That will be used 'internally'
> > and so will be ok by the FHS pov.
>
> For those large and crappy application suites the FHS has
> /opt/<package>/

AFAIK the use of /opt, /etc/opt and /var/opt is reserved to
application software packages.
That was typically (but not exclusively), commercial or
proprietary one in the old good (?) days, installed by the
administrator and produced by third parties (i.e. not
the OS vendor).
Unfortunately today we cannot define easily
the difference among an application software and all the
rest. My own interpretation is that all (and only) software
packaged out of the distribution is ideed application software.
So, no parts of Debian should stay there.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine