Re: mass bug gnustep programs: policy violation

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:

> AFAIK the use of /opt, /etc/opt and /var/opt is reserved to
> application software packages.
> That was typically (but not exclusively), commercial or
> proprietary one in the old good (?) days, installed by the
> administrator and produced by third parties (i.e. not
> the OS vendor).
> Unfortunately today we cannot define easily
> the difference among an application software and all the
> rest. My own interpretation is that all (and only) software
> packaged out of the distribution is ideed application software.
> So, no parts of Debian should stay there.

FWIW, this is my policy:

1.  Anything packaged in .deb format -> standard FHS directories

2.  Anything packaged in any other format (i.e. vmware which has its own
    installer and upgrade method -> /opt

3.  Everything else -> /usr/local

Thus I for one would prefer not to have some Debian package mess with /opt.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>