Re: How long is it acceptable to leave *undistributable* files in the kernel package?

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 11:12:37PM -0400, Michael Poole wrote:
>     In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the
>     Program with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on
>     a volume of a storage or distribution medium does not bring the
>     other work under the scope of this License.
>
> This sentence deals just as much with collective works, and makes
> clear that "mere aggregation" is not sufficient to invoke GPL coverage
> of the other work(s).  What is your point?

My point is that any sentence talking about "a work based on the Program"
is by default talking about both derivative and collective works.

> > So what is this "deception" you're talking about?
>
> The deception is calling it "great lengths."  When I said the GPL
> "deals with collective works in just two paragraphs" you focused on
> the one where they are mentioned by name and entirely ignored the
> other (because you don't like what it says?).

You seem to be ignoring everything the GPL says about "works based on
the Program".

--
Raul