Re: fighting spam || avoiding spam

Hi, Andrew Suffield wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 04:03:14PM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
>> Apart from setting spam filter on the debian mail server, are there
>> any plans to avoid spam -- for example, by partly obfuscating email
>> addresses wherever such addresses are printed on debian.org?

Obfuscating doesn't work. *Somewhere* your correct address will show up,
and it's only a matter of time before it percolates through most spammers'
email lists.

> (x) This is a stupid idea, and you're a stupid person for suggesting it.

Andrew, please drop the second part of such sentences in the future.

This style is NOT conductive to constructive discussion.

> Any idea which is worse for us than for them is *counter-productive*.

The other problem is that the more common obfuscation rules (like
user@some.NO.domain.SPAM) are rather easily circumvented by any rookie
Perl programmer. I'd rather not engage in yet another pointless escalating
battle.

--
Matthias Urlichs