Re: Debian AMD64 Port Ready

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 11:11:50PM +0100, Darren Salt wrote:
> I demand that Chris Cheney may or may not have written...
>
> [snip]
> > Of course Debian will be useless usability wise if sarge does not ship with
> > AMD64 arch support since by 2007 (sarge+1) all desktop systems will be
> > AMD64/EM64T/IA32E based.
>
> (Assuming that you mean "all _new_ desktop systems".)
>
> So you're saying that production of (say) XScale-based desktop boxes will
> *definitely* cease within 2.5 years or so?

Hmm, XScale-based desktops, never heard of them, I have seen plenty of
XScale-based pda's but then thats not a desktop. What I meant to say was
effectively all new desktop systems shipped by 2007 will be amd64 based,
of course apple will still be alive shipping their 2% of the market ppc
based systems. Of course there will likely be developer systems for
large sums of money running other archs like XScale as there is today,
but that can't really be considered a normal desktop system. ;)

Chris