Re: Debian AMD64 Port Ready

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 06:39:58AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Chris Cheney wrote:
> > We are proud to announce the Debian AMD64 port is ready for inclusion in
>                            ^^^
>
> I've heard that there were two ports, a pure and a mixed one.  So,
> which one is yours and how can it be "the" Debian AMD64 port?

There is only one AMD64 port. There is also the multiarch effort which
is separate and not really part of the amd64 port. It may be ready in a
year or so, it is expected that it will require modifications to all
library packages which is well over 1000 sources. Multiarch is of
primary interest to the other 64bit capable archs that are currently
limited to 32bit userspace, such as mips, powerpc, and sparc.

> > Sid. The port is currently at 97% compiled with most of the remaining
> > packages having FTBFS RC bugs filed for unrelated reasons. We have also
> > finished debian-installer for the AMD64 port and generate daily builds.
> > All that still remains to be done is for dpkg to include the amd64
> > patch, for archive space be given to the port, and for an official
> > buildd to be setup.
>
> I also thought that the pure AMD64 port is technically ok, but
> worthless from a usability point of view since it is not compatible
> with AMD64 ports of other distributions.  If that's the case indeed,
> and if you are talking about the pure amd64 port, I don't believe
> Debian should include it in sid.

I have not heard of any compatibility issues, there is a lib64 dir just
as there is on the other distributions. It just happens to be a symlink.
Also, Multiarch is expected to be adopted by FHS/LSB and makes the
current distributions obsolete wrt their library placement in any case.
And since when is compatibility with other dists more important that
having support for an arch at all?  How is not being compatible with
other distributions useless usability wise? I have never had the reason
to install another distributions rpm package on my system and have not
heard of anyone else needing to either, on amd64 or even i386 for that
matter. Of course Debian will be useless usability wise if sarge does
not ship with AMD64 arch support since by 2007 (sarge+1) all desktop
systems will be AMD64/EM64T/IA32E based. BTW Intel is expected to enable
the 64bit extensions on the P4 3.2GHz+ chips by the end of August 2004.

Chris