Re: Pre-Depends of #CDD#-common meta packages from cdd-common

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 11:52:01AM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 09:40:06AM +0200, David Weinehall wrote:
> > > * bash, itself, is an Essential package, so you could just
> > >   s:#!/bin/sh:#!/bin/bash: and not care about portability.
> >
> > Please don't.
>
> Please do. Replacing adequete languages with less flexible ones for
> *no reason* is stupid.

Ahhh, but you conveniently snipped the reasons I provided.  And using
bashisms for *no reason* is far more stupid...

> Might as well say "I want all shell scripts in Debian to also be valid
> php scripts", it'd be about as useful.

Making things php-scripts would hardly free up disk space for a minimal
system, now would it?  You could've at least suggested perl, since
perl-base is essential...

Anyway, I wasn't talking about exchanging about earth-shattering changes
that totally changes the way the script works.  We're talking about
removing one bashism in a script to make it more portable, allow it to
meet policy, and in the end allow drop-in replacement of smaller foot-print
shells instead of bash,

Regards: David Weinehall
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /) Northern lights wander      (\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //