Re: libpkg-guide updated (versioned symbols), please proofread

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 04:52:35PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:

 > That whole crap was due to the lack of understanding of the problem
 > and blindness to the proper solution (versioned symbols).

 Whilst I agree with you as a library author myself, I disagree with you
 as a Debian maintainer.

 Debian should _not_ introduce gratuitous differences with upstream
 authors.  While we have fscked up in this point big time and multiple
 times (myself being guilty of that charge), that doesn't mean we should
 keep doing that.  Nowadays it's possible to compile a simple hello
 world C program on an unstable system and run it on a current yet
 random Linux Distribution.  That wasn't the case one or two years ago
 because Debian kept "fixing" upstream problems.  Nowadays it's even
 possible to do the same with C++ programs.

 Looking who and how libpkg-guide is used, I think this document should
 make it _very_ clear that this kind of changes _must_ be send upstream
 and they must _not_ be included in Debian packages in advance.

 Marcelo