Re: fighting spam || avoiding spam

Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 12:09:50PM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
>> Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> wrote:

>> > Do you have an implementation to share with us?
>>
>> No, I do not provide a working solution from scratch. I was just
>> suggesting something.
>
> Your suggestion is "I know you don't think it's possible, but I do, so
> please pursue my idea for me".

I doubt it is impossible.

First, impossible is meaningless as long as what exactly need to be
done is not described. No design start by an implementation.

And currently, what should be done exactly is not even decided.

It is already possible to obfscute all email addresses in a text --
will you challenge that assertion. What could be interesting is to
list the traps to avoid and handle them.

> Either provide a working solution (and prove it works),

If it was essential in my life, I would do so. It is not, I will find
workaround less time consuming on my side.

The sad thing is the fact I'm not even surprised to read people
suggesting that proposal should not be made before the work is done.

> or shut up.

You cannot even be polite and you think you deserve attention?

>> The little I know about computing leads me to think, however, that
>> writing a regexp that obfuscate address but not perl code is not
>> something impossible.
>
> It's been told you now, what, three times(?) that doing such a thing is
> indeed impossible, by people who have tried.
>
> If you insist that they're wrong, prove it. Don't blatter on endlessly
> that you think it's possible.

Funny to hear that for most debian developers, find a way to modify a
specific string in a text with the least false-positive is something
impossible.

So I think everything is said, change nothing, everything is perfect
as it is, it is definitely not worth trying anything else.

--
Mathieu Roy

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |