Re: fighting spam || avoiding spam

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 12:09:50PM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> wrote:
> The little I know about computing leads me to think, however, that
> writing a regexp that obfuscate address but not perl code is not
> something impossible.

It is incredibly difficult, because whether a string which matches the
e-mail address regexp is defined by it's semantic usage, not purely by the
characters which make it up.  You've already been given one example (Message
IDs).  More aren't hard to come up with.

> For instance people is unlikely to have email
> address like @bla or $@adad{da}. We can discriminate what could be an

They aren't e-mail addresses.  They're random strings that happen to have an
at symbol in them.

- Matt