multiple job instances with cron (was: New virtual package: cron-daemon)

On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 01:03:49PM +0200, Adam Byrtek / Alpha wrote:
> Nevertheless I still don't like anacron, and I would prefer if fcron
> could replace the standard Debian cron in a simple way.

In respect to that, does anybody know, why the default behaviour of crons is
to start multiple instances of the same job, if the execution times overlap.
Is this intentional or only because it makes book keeping simpler? I know
cron jobs should protect themself against multiple invocations, but IMHO it
would increase useability and stability greatly, if cron does not schedule a
job after the other is not finished.

Greetings
Bernd
--