Re: libcurl2 7.12.0-1 breakage and its removal from unstable

Graham Wilson <bob@decoy.wox.org> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 11:54:14AM +0200, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
>> 1) use epoch. the easiest solution, the one i like less.
>>
>> 2) upload with version like 7.12.0.is.7.11.2-1. almost easy as 1)
>>    but would mean an ugly version for sarge.
>>
>> 3) removal of curl 7.12.0-1 from unstable.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> should 3) being not feasible i'll move with 2). i can't believe i'm
>> going to release sarge with 0 bugs on curl and a ugly version... sob :(
>
> I don't see what the problem with using an epoch is; after all, this is
> the kind of situation they seemed to be designed for. Using an epoch
> seems like the easiest solution. Why are you opposed to using one?

You can never get rid of an epoch. Epochs are ment to handle the case
where upstream uses a versioning that does not sort well for dpkg, or
when the versioning scheme changes and doesn't sort well.

In this case the maintainer screwed up and its a temporary
problem. Having something like 7.12.0.is.7.11.2-1 means thats 7.12.1
can get rid of the uglyness.

On the other hand it looks like 7.11 is the last release of libcurl2
and the 7.12 s´hould become libcurl3. So an epoch could be used on 7.11 and
would be gone when libcurl2 is phased out of debian. The new libcurl3
wouldn't be affected by this.

MfG
        Goswin