Re: Lost Trust

On Jun 2, 2004, at 03:05, Bernhard R. Link wrote:

* Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> [040602 01:54]:
Also, vendors in the USA may be required by law to not release the
source in order to comply with FCC regulations.

Has anyone any source or quote for this?

http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/News_Releases/2001/ nret0106.html

Look at Section C of that order. It doesn't actually say you can't release the source; it just says things like:

	Accordingly, we are adopting the proposal in the Notice
	that manufacturers must take steps to prevent unauthorized
	software changes to a software defined radio.  The precise
	methods of ensuring the integrity of the software in a radio
	will be left to the manufacturer, and the manufacturer must
	document the methods in the application for equipment
	authorization.

Also, B(1) about Class III changes is relevant.

Other sections say things like:

	We are requiring manufacturers to take steps to ensure that
	only software that has been approved by the FCC or a TCB can
	be loaded into a transmitter. The software must not allow the
	user to operate the transmitter with frequencies, output power,
	modulation types or other parameters outside of those that were
	approved. Manufacturers may use authentication codes or any
	other means to meet these requirements, and must describe the
	methods in their application for equipment authorization.