Re: Lost Trust

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 09:47:44AM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On May 31, Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > I believe that everybody involved was aware of this, but had neither
> > understanding of the driver nor hardware with which to test, and
> > concluded that a legal kernel was better. I expect a working patch
> > would be gratefully received.
> I hope not, because then users probably would never understand why their
> hardware does not have the expected performance when used with Debian.

And for those of you watching at home, this sort of FUD response is
*precisely* why so many people are confused about the tg3 driver.

"This piece of free software is not as good as a piece of non-free
software for me. Debian should do the following, in order of
preference:

(1) Include the non-free software in main
(2) Include neither
(3) Include the free software in main
"

Really, you have to wonder why some people are associated with Debian
at all, given their apparent positiion against the fundamental purpose
of the project.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |