Re: GR 2004-004

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 10:04:52PM +0200, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I ask these questions on the developer's list since I got no useful answers
> after asking them on debian-user-german.
>
> Why did GR 2004-004 change its name?

Why would that matter to your problem? After all, a name is just a name.

> Why are the specifications of the end of the discussion period as well
> as the beginning and the end of the voting period missing?  Actually,
> May 18th was the beginning of the voting period but the GR 2004-004
> page shows this GR as still being in the discussion period.

Per our constitution, the discussion period will be reset when a new
amendment has received the necessary seconds. Since that's happened a
few times (the last time was yesterday), it will still be quite a while
before the GR can be voted upon.

Please see Manoj's mail he sent out on the debian-vote list yesterday
for the latest information on when the discussion period will end (which
would, again, be reset if someone suggests a new amendment and gets the
necessary seconds).

> In the near future, I'll need a relatively modern and stable Linux
> system for a desktop PC.  But since sarge probably won't be released
> until this time, my plans to install sarge on this machine are totally
> screwn up.  And since voting periods are just put off and one doesn't
> even know when they will finally be, it's impossible to make
> reasonable plans concerning Debian installations.

That's not really true.

For the time being, the release is continuing as planned. Work on
debian-installer is continuing; and since debian-installer, not GR
2004-003, is the main reason why Sarge hasn't been released yet, the
recently voted GR has no effect on the release time of sarge -- yet.

> I'm really annoyed because of these release problems and the
> uncertainness.

Well, can't help you there. It's clear that many developers are
interested in seeing Sarge release "soon", but at this point, it's
impossible to say when the vote will be.

That said, if the outcome of the vote will be one of the proposals that
would allow sarge to be released with non-DFSG-free documents in main, I
don't think the release would be postponed even a bit.

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks