Re: Timeout replaces netatalk in stable ?

On 21-May-04, 10:55 (CDT), Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be> wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 05:31:58PM +0200, Stefan Hornburg wrote:
> > Conflicts might makes sense, but Replaces doesn't. I can see no hint in
> > the package description that timeout supplies netatalk's features.
>
> It doesn't have to.
> <http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#s-replaces>.

It sure does. If you Conflict and Replace with another package, you're
basically promising to provide its functionality. Even if you just
Replace another package, the files you overwrite damn well better do the
same thing.

If that's not the case, I'm going to upload a package that "Replaces:
libc6" with its own verion of /usr/bin/getent that searches the Internet
and retrieves pictures of the well-known creatures from LOTR. According
to you, that's okay, right?

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net