Re: odd messages on d-devel [was: How Do I Get You Off My Computer]

Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 03:54:39AM +1000, Pascal Hakim wrote:
> > 	Ideally we'd remove that stuff from our archives, but I'm
> > unwilling to do so if it means that URLs to messages in our mail
> > archive changes.
>
> Does it? If so, that would sound like a bug in the used archive software
> to me. No?

Perhaps not a bug but it might possibly not be a feature either.

But instead of removing them and having the message numbering change
it might be better to replace the original with a null message which
effectively said nothing more than "spam deleted".  That should
satisfy the problem of keeping message numbering the same and also
stop google from page ranking it such that it gets all of the hits
from music enthusiasts.

However, it would open up a can of worms about people who want to have
their mail deleted from the archives.  Right now I think the answer to
that is a no, and rightly so.  A clear policy should be published.

Bob