Re: odd messages on d-devel [was: How Do I Get You Off My Computer]

On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 11:49:08PM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 08:45:51AM -0700, artis3 wrote:
> > I would like AOL Instant Messenger off my computer.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why all these messages are appearing on d-devel?
> Is it a fairly clever attempt at scraping addresses, or does some crapware
> somewhere list d-devel as the contact point for complaints?

Hi Matt,

	I believe those people have come to us through various search
engines that have crawled the spam in our archives. We're getting a
large bunch of them at the listmaster alias as well.

	Ideally we'd remove that stuff from our archives, but I'm
unwilling to do so if it means that URLs to messages in our mail
archive changes.

	<Cue someone citing this as proof we need to have moderation
on all lists, and the death penalty for those to post off-topic
material>

	Cheers,

Pasc