Re: @debian.org email forwarding and SPF

Paul.Hampson@anu.edu.au (Paul Hampson) writes:

> SPF basically undoes the recent attitude of "SMTP traffic should be sent
> via your local ISP's SMTP server, not via the SMTP server that _receives_
> mail for the domain you're sending from."

Not really.  It just extends it (as some residential ISPs have
already done) to "SMTP traffic should only be sent via your local
ISP's SMTP server, using your email address at that ISP."  With the
minor caveat that if you happen to have the rare luck that you _can_
contact the mail server for the domain you'd like to send from, you
are allowed to send from it.

Really, we should just get rid of mail apps and require everyone to
use web mail, which would end all this confusion and allow SPF to
work perfectly.

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - I am the rocks.
If you would keep a secret from an enemy, tell it not to a friend.