Re: @debian.org email forwarding and SPF

On Thu, 20 May 2004 18:53, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder
<avbidder@fortytwo.ch> wrote:
> The spam & viruses that will still come through are those which do not
> fake their sender addresses. (And these will quickly appear as soon as
> SPF use is significant: the trojaned computer will just be used to send
> their shit through the mail APIs, meaning the email will go through the
> mail relays of the ISPs. Which is a good thing: the ISPs are finally
> forced to do something about it. I hope. Perhaps in vain - the ISPs
> will probably just upgrade their mailservers...)

If spam starts being sent with a From: field that matches the computer that is
being used to send it then that will be a huge improvement.

In the good-old-days when I received less than one spam per day (before anyone
had felt the need to write anti-spam software) I could count on the From:
field being correct.  This meant I could abuse the spammer and ask their ISP
to terminate their account...

ISPs that don't stop spam going through their servers can be added to
black-lists without any debate, such ISPs are just bad.  However ISPs that
merely allow outbound port 25 access from their dial-up pool can't be held to
the same level of accountability.