Re: @debian.org email forwarding and SPF

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
On Tue, 18 May 2004, John Belmonte wrote:

My original post was regarding mail to @debian.org accounts that will get lost because of SPF records and mail filtering outside the control of Debian and the developer in quesion. I think this is an important issue to be aware of, and perhaps it should be resolved.

SPF-aware forwarding looks really obnoxious outside a "we use SPF"
environment.  I think you will find out that unless we start deploying some
part of SPF, you won't get the forward filter installed.

Anyway, you are not forced to lose mail. You CAN have a BSMTP feed or do
even weirder things with your Debian email, so you already have a way out if
your ISP enables SPF filtering.

I don't know that I'd call it "SPF-aware forwarding", since there is nothing in the forwarding mechanism specific to SPF. Maybe "SPF-friendly forwarding".

Yes, I agree you could probably hack the handling of your Debian email. I started down that path, until I realized that it precludes use of the distributed LDAP mail system, and it was looking like several system scripts are hard coded to infer things from the existence of ~/.forward.

Thanks,
-John

--
http:// ift ile.org/