Re: Don't understand the trouble with firmware !

* Francesco P. Lovergine

 > Are you joking or what? What when Intel processors will require the
 > OS loading binary-only firmware to work in fully operational mode?

* Marco d'Itri

 > They already require updating the microcode at boot time to fix bugs.

* Francesco P. Lovergine

 > Yep, but that's typically a one-time operation.

  One time per boot, yes.  Just like other kind of firmware that usually
 has to be loaded one time per boot.

 > I'm thinking to more substantial changes in architectural choices, i.e.

  That is, as I understand it, exactly what happens when you apply a
 microcode update.

--
Tore Anderson