Re: libparagui1.0: FTBFS on s390 - help needed

Bartosz Fenski aka fEnIo <fenio@o2.pl> wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 01:06:17PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
>> > Could someone help me to fix problem with libparagui1.0 ?

>> > It doesn't build correctly on s390 architecture, and I can't exactly
>> > figure out why.

>> > Could you please take a look at build[1] logs of this
>> > architecture and tell me why it installs libreadline4 before
>> > build?
>> [...]

>> Package: libphysfs0
>> Maintainer: Bartosz Fenski <fenio@o2.pl>
>> Architecture: s390
>> Version: 0.1.9-1
>> Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4), libncurses5 (>= 5.3.20030510-1), libreadline4 (
>> >= 4.3-1), zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.1)

>> If libphysfs0 should not be compiled with readline support build it
>> with --disable-readline.

>> (unstable)ametzler@raptor:~/phy.ext$ grep readline usr/lib/libphysfs.la
>> dependency_libs=' -lz -lreadline -lcurses'

> Ok but why it happens *only* on s390?

Because it was only compiled on s390 with readline support. I'd guess
that the s390 buildd that took care of building libphysfs0 had
libreadline4-dev installed, libphysfs0's configure-script detected it
and automatically enabled it.

> Theroetically libphysfs0 depends on libreadline4 also on other
> architectures, but this doesn't lead to problems with libparagui1.0.

> Seems that I have to add some dependencies to libphysfs.

No. You have to decide first. - Do you think libphysfs should be
compiled with libreadline4-support. - Is it useful, or just bloat? If
yes update the Build-Depencies and libphysfs-dev's dependencies,
otherwise make sure libphysfs is not *accidentally* compiled with
libreadline4-support e.g. by using --disable-readline.

FWIW I'd guess that compiling with libreadline4 is *not* what you
want. - libreadline4 is GPL, which can be quite limiting for a
library.

Identical thought should be given to the libncurses5 dependency.
                  cu andreas

--
NMUs aren't an insult, they're not an attack, and they're
not something to avoid or be ashamed of.