Social Contract: Practical Implications

I would like to make two comments about the Social Contract from a Debian User's POV.

1. The Social Contract has been modified in the very recent past. It can be modified again. It need not be junked.

2. The Social Contract is not the reason I use Debian. I, and other users (I could name names), use it because it has been the best distribution. If removing firmware leads to degraded performance, we will look for alternatives. One easy one would be to put packages with names like kernel-full-2.6.x-sources in non-free and an option in the installer to build with the high-performance, non-free kernel. Another is to use kernels from kernel.org, although this would be clumsy.

3. If there were two or three of me, I would try to build a different Debian archive. For better or worse, there is only one of me, so 1. or 2. will have to suffice.

As I have said, some have already bailed.

Art Edwards