Re: Spam in the lists out of control

On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 04:04:49PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> The level of spam in the lists is something like 20% these days [*].
>
> Those who still do not see the need to make the lists closed for non
> subscribers or non registered people (via the whitelist), please
> propose a better solution.
>
> The current level of spam is not acceptable by any standard,
> so "do nothing" does not count as a "solution".
>
> [*] Examples, for the lists I'm subscribed to:
>
> 86 junk messages and 440 good messages yesterday.
> 76 junk messages and 200 good messages today.
Hi Santiago et al.
I subscribed to this list a few days ago with a similar motive.
I was combing some of the lists on lists.debian.org and was amazed what
I found:
about 20% or more spam on all types of lists ( automated output lists,
users lists, bug tracking list)
Also I saw bug tracking lists being submitted spam as bugs and adding to
the number of bugs in the bts.
It seems that something should be done but I am at a loss as what to
propose. No one wants to submit a legitimate message to a list and have
it sent to /dev/null, so it seems that there needs to be a system that
can gaurantee more spam get through than ham gets tossed.

I realized that the amount of spam in the mailing lists decreases the
signal to noise level greatly and thus reduces their effectiveness.
Hopefully someone out there knows of something to do to alleviate this.
And also to comb all the past mailing list messages and remove the
massive about of spam that is hot and steaming and pungent out of the
garden of debian knowledge.
-Kev