Re: libpng status update

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 07:39:45PM -0600, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
>  > >   * scripts/makefile.linux: use versioned dependencies
>  > >     (closes: #155891).
>  > >   * debian/rules: bump dependency for dh_makeshlibs.
>  > >
>  > >  but if that's it it's way too terse.
>  >
>  > This is the correct changelog entry. Packages need to be rebuilt with
>  > this version to make use of versioned symbols, and then get the
>  > correct dependency (libpng12-0 >= 1.2.5.0-4).

>  Ah... ok.

>  I'm sorry for being dense, it's been too long since this whole thing
>  started, and I must have forgotten something, but I don't get this from
>  your original message:

>  > Please rebuild these packages, especially library ones. Don't change
>  > anything to the build dependencies, just upload a new version.

>  Why must we not change the build dependency to >= 1.2.5.0-4?  If the
>  purpose of the rebuild is to get this right, we want to get this really
>  right, don't we?  In fact I'd also change:

>     Package: libdevil-dev
>     Depends: libdevil1 (= ${Source-Version}), ..., libpng12-0-dev (>=
>     1.2.5.0-4), ...

>  what am I missing?  (Probably a lot, I've got a horrible cold)

$ apt-cache policy libpng3-dev
libpng3-dev:
  Installed: 1.2.5.0-6
  Candidate: 1.2.5.0-6
  Version Table:
     1.2.5.0-6 0
        500 http://ftp.egr.msu.edu unstable/main Packages
        500 http://ftp.egr.msu.edu testing/main Packages
$

The chance of the autobuilders getting this wrong is negligible, it's
been almost a year since the fixed libpng3-dev became available.  You
could add a versioned build-dep and a versioned dep, but it doesn't seem
all that important for any real world cases.

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer