Re: When will amd64 be allowed in sid?

Quoting Adam Majer (adamm@galacticasoftware.com):
> I want to have *a* 64-bit AMD port. It doesn't really matter to me if it
> has 32-bit support built in alongside 64-bit since I'm not likely to use
> it. What matters is the native 64-bit support.

Me in contrast, I'm (very) likely to use it.

> 32/64 multiarch is not likely to be ready by time Sarge rolls out -
> 64-bit only has a better chance.
>
> So I think that now we should get pure Amd64 into Sid, and then we can
> worry about  multiarch.

OK, maybe we can agree on this:
It is necessary to have _a_ 64bit port in Debian and it should be
included in Sarge if at all possible.

Additionally it is necessary that we build this port in a way that
we don't block the paths to a simple migration to a biarch ports
from the 64bit pure port.

I think this is what most pure 64bit protagonists don't like to
think about because it makes things much more complicated for them.

Cheers
   Mike