Re: When will amd64 be allowed in sid?

Michael Neuffer wrote:

Quoting Adam Majer (adamm@galacticasoftware.com):
Furthermore, there will be 32-bit and 64-bit Windows. Games will already have to run in 32-bit and 64-bit modes. For performance reasons, they will have to have pure 64-bit ports.

When ? How fast will they do that ? Leaving those hundereds of milions
of users with Win95/98/ME Win2k/XP behind ? I don't think it will happen that quickly.
As soon as Windows 64-bit is released.

Remember that gamers will want their 64-bit games almost immediately after they have a 64-bit production environment. Development houses probably have ported most of some future games already. Microsoft was preaching that programs need to be 64-bit safe a long time ago - a lot of types in WINAPI were changed way back, I think that happened for Win95 release. They changed their API so they can redefine things for a 64-bit environment, recompile and run.

Anyway, games are going to be one of the first software to run on 64-bit. Of course, they will also run in 32-bit. It is not that difficult to have multi-arch programs - just look at Debian :) A gamer will demand 64-bit software (since it runs faster than 32-bit software) and whoever gets there first, might just cash in more than someone that stayed in pure 32-bit world.

But the main reason why there are few games, is that most development houses are bean counters (EA games is a prime example, iD is not :). Linux doesn't make them money, so they ignore it. If Linux had 99% of desktop market, no one would make games for Windows and Direct3D would be dead.

This is the classical chicken and egg problem, I know.
What we are doing however is to either smash the egg or shoot the chicken if you want.

I think we make it harder for the beancounters then we have to.
You are saying if the 32-bit port will disappear!

Anyway, every a few months there is a discussion whether to have a pure P4 port, or a pure K7 port, or whatever. With a Amd64 port, we can at least end that discussion since K7 or P4 can now be considered legacy.

- Adam

--
Building your applications one byte at a time
http://www.galacticasoftware.com