Re: Definition of COUNTRY

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 06:14:05PM +0100, Darren Salt wrote:
> I demand that Steve Langasek may or may not have written...

> [snip]
> > if you choose 'English', you're presented with a list of English-speaking
> > countries with supported locales, with 'Other' at the bottom if you need to
> > pick a country that doesn't have a supported locale.

> Were I for some reason to choose 'Other', would the installer pick British
> spelling or American spelling, or would it let me choose?

Probably "mixed", as there is only one set of English-language debconf
templates for d-i, and I don't believe there's any standard being
imposed; and even in general on the installed system, setting en_XX as
your locale rarely changes the displayed text compared to the C locale.
As to which en_XX ought to be the default when choosing "Other", I would
expect en_GB to make the most sense as that's the variant most likely to
be preferred by English speakers outside the US.

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer