Re: Definition of COUNTRY (Was: Resignation)

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 12:19:05AM +0800, Wang WenRui wrote:
> Around 16 o'clock on 06 May, Dale Amon wrote:
> > The only authority on what is a nation are the people
> > who live there. When in doubt, ask them.
> Can you ask them all? vote?

Just make sure you have the options available.

> > D.Amon, Belfast, Northern Ireland

We'd have two options. UK and Ireland. You'll
see one flag or the other flying in different
parts of Belfast. The formal government is UK,
but many look to Dublin. Would seem fair enough
to let people make their own choice. For us, the
default answer would be UK; but many would want
to make a different selection (perhaps 20%+
of the population.)

Likewise anyplace else where nationality is an
issue. Give all the possible choices and let
people self select.

Make reasonable defaults; but make dissent easy.

   Dale Amon     amon@islandone.org    +44-7802-188325
       International linux systems consultancy
     Hardware & software system design, security
    and networking, systems programming and Admin
	      "Have Laptop, Will Travel"