Re: Mass bug filing: Cryptographic protection against modification

Matthew Garrett writes:
> Why the fuck should we not be allowed to modify it?

There is no good reason.  People who argue that freely-redistributable
documents must be protected against modification are being silly.  However,
IMO most unmodifiable documents are less of a problem than unmodifiable
software.  I think we should be firm about software while considering
documents on a case-by-case basis.  We should continue to argue for their
modifiability but admit them if we really need them and their
unmodifiability does not appear to be too harmful.

I'm not sure we really need to package RFCs, though.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)