Please stop breaking things (was: Mass bug filing: Cryptographic protection against modification)

* Goswin von Brederlow (brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de) [040504 18:40]:
> [digital signed firmware]
> Since you can't take the original source and rebuild the firmware
> image, even with all the compilers and tools originally used, I would
> say no.

(It's a bit unfair to answer to a mail of Goswin, because he did bring
neither this nor any of the other topics up - there are other people
whom my answer fits much better.)

Short to say: Don't we have any real problems?

Our Social Contract declars that our priorities are our users and the
free software community. It does not declare that our priorities are
to troll around, never release and willful create show-stoppers.

We, Debian, are now at the crossroads: What do we want? Do we want to
build the best free operating system, used by lot of users? Or do we
want to tell us how good we are, neglect our users and never release.
Please re-read what Ian has said. He is absolutly right.

Please remember that every formal text that is not inconsistent has
holes in it - this is a proven sentence, and we cannot avoid it. So,
_please_ lets keep the fundamental texts clear, short and
comprehensible - and take them with a grain of salt, because we know
that there are bordercases, and our texts cannot match all bordercases.

I'm very sorry for these harsh words, but we must really be very
cautious that we don't loose our good distribution, our sensible
decisions and our best developers. Creating a free, good and open
distribution is a really diffuclt thing, and if we ignore this fact, we
will loose at least one of our great results. Please, let's fix bugs
instead of creating new problems.

Cheers,
Andi
--