Re: dh_installdocs ignores package.README.Debian

On Mon, 3 May 2004 08:51:13 +0200, Jeroen van Wolffelaar
<jeroen@wolffelaar.nl> wrote:

> I think it's really like someone else says, that your dh_* invocation is
> broken.

Yes. Problem now fixed thanks to Brian May.

>> The man page seems perfectly clear, though like all its ilk it could
>> benefit by a) a little more verbosity b) the odd example. Man pages don't
>> seem to do examples, though. The problem is that I don't see the behaviour
>> it describes.
>
> Re (a), manpages are supposed to tersely say what they do, and not more.
> They are no beginners guide, a technical reader should find the info he
> needs there. IMHO, the manpages for dh_* are at the right balance of
> terseness vs. verboseness.

Actually, I like man pages with examples, exposition, warnings
etc. Eg. the rsync man page.

> Re (b), did you read debhelper(7)? It refers to
> /usr/share/doc/debhelper/examples/

Actually I read the man page for dh_installdocs, then googled for
dh_installdocs, then looked at the rules files in the Debian sources
on my machine. I'm embarrassed to say that it never occurred to me to
look at the other debhelper documentation, even though the debhelper
man page was mentioned at the bottom of the dh_installdocs man page.

Thanks for your help. I will go away now.
                                                         Faheem.