Re: Survey on Debian usage

* Survey

- Q: Are you a:  (note: you may choose more than one)
  A:
     [ ] Debian developer, or otherwise involved in contributing to Debian
     [ ] Free software developer
     [X] User, using Debian for: Home desktop, work desktop, thin-client terminal server, file, dns/dhcp, firewall/proxy, mail server _________________________
     [ ] Other: __________________________________

- Q: Could you please provide one or two typical episodes (whatever you feel
     like) of your life with Debian?
  A: I was new in Debian, and I couldn't get mouse working. I stuck with gpm and mouse didn't work. Don't know how I found hidden functions of GPM, but some of them were very helpful.
	Then a friend suggested me a magical line: dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86. Finally after few hours I was able to run X, although I didn't understand difference between Xserver 3.x and Xserver 4.x so I used 3.3.6 because the names at least guided me to find the right server for my videocard.
	The playing with X server parameters was quest alone. The "utils" in emergency X desktop were useless; I learned that if something is wrong with X, I shouldn't bore with the way the X suggests me, I must shoot him down and re-run dpkg-reconfigure... instead.
	The national keyboard sk_qwerty didn't work, not to mention switching between us and sk_qwerty like in Window$. I have found many very ancient howtos from the potato age, but it seemed that anything should work just right in Woody. But it didn't, at least I didn't find a way to do it.
	Finally, I changed the machine and the new GNOME-capable one solved the problem because the GNOME has an applet to switch the keyboards. No, it didn't work correctly, but I learned how to change the switching line (setxkbmap sk_qwerty) and other settings (ISO8859-2 instead of default 8859-1, Czech and slovak instead of Slovak etc.) to achieve working keyboard switcher.
	The application bars had problems with diacritics, and I googled that Woody has locales problem, but friend adviced again: add a line LC_ALL sk_SK to /etc/profiles, relogin, and run dpkg-reconfigure locales. Yes, it worked! I selected the same things as during installation, but this time it worked at least!
	Then he teached me, that if I want ISO8859-2 console displayed correctly, setting it in locales isn't enough: I must install the FONTY package. Yes, worked again. What could I do without the friend I cannot imagine.
	The menu fonts of GNOME are incorrect sometimes and don't display diacritics correctly, but this is thing I can live with.
	I learned how to add the needful reboot/shutdown items to GDM. Not trivial, but I was finally able to: go to gdm.conf, unblock the AllowRootLogin or whatever, start GNOME as root, find the GDM Configurator (after 5 times I remember the way) and chcek the box in System menu.
	I needed newer Mozilla than stable 1.0.0.0. First time I downloaded .deb packages of 1.2, but they corrupted my dependencies. After some months I started to use the binary installer, it works so I'm happy. OpenOffice.org -I use bnary installer, i rather didn't try .debs
	Time goes around and I use OOo intensively. But wait, the fonts are all bad! Yes, OOo team recognised it as Debian error. But adviced to copy Window$ ttf fonts to /opt/Open.../share/fonts/truetype. Yes, the Window$ fonts work better than Debian ones. And the crippled fonts in OpenOffice.org menus can be easily corrected by ReplaceFonts option in OOo. Replace Interface User by Arial or so and menus have working diacritics. Smart guys those in OOo, I'm lucky they added such feature to OOo..
	What about sound? Wanna sound? No, it dosen't play. XMMS claims that someone is sitting on sound device. But whos'e the alien? Finally, months later I found on Internet how to discover who is using /dev/audio. And the name of the guy is ESOUND! Kill him! Uninstall him! Finally the sound plays! I can hear music! Wow! Why cannot my wife? She's in audio group exactly as me, but she's not allowed to play. I don't know.
	Wanna burn a CD? Not so quickly, man! You must learn a lot! First find the right combination of kernel settings. Allow SCSI emulation, allow SCSI-CDROM but DON't allow the ATAPI-CDROM! With fresh new kernel You're sometimes able to burn with XCDROASTER, Eclipt is nicer but forgets the /dev/scd0 device everytime and cannot find it with no root.
	Wanna grab cd? CDParanoia is fine, but You must use another 2.6 kernel, compiled WITH ATAPI-CD support. You cannot burn anymore, but can grab, an it's great.
	Wanna print? What print interface is good for me? LPD or which one of the four? After half a year I finally found howto. The guy bravely stated, that I should forget anything but CUPS. Great, why didn't the Debian manual tell me the same, I could find the way much easier. The howto is really great, I can print! Even I can setup the OpenOffice to print too! Mozilla dosen't play with me, but never mind, OOo prints and it's enough pleasure for me this time.
	I'm skilled enough to create CANCEL-PRINTING script that deletes the cups spool directory. Happy with that, because I couldn't cancel printing anyhow before. I'm happy, because I remember the times of Window$ printing that I was unable tho cancel. At least one thing where Debian is equally inconvenient with Window$ 98!
	Glad to have learned fstab parameters to make filesystems working.
	I started my way to thin clients and was troubled by tftpd. And then some ood howto adviced -use atftpd, it's much better. I used and the first time in my Debian quest it was pleasure to install something. All configuration options were easy to set up and even more, the atftpd really worked!
	After studying howtos for few days, I was able to set up DHCPD and DNS with similar ease and success!
	Squid nearly worked for first try, i just must have compare the squid.conf with old one I found on old server and allow the access. Pitty that he didn't ask me during setup.
	Apache was not too trivial to set up, but I can imagine that PHP dosen't work in the reason of avoiding lamers to set up Apache.

- Q: Could you please provide one or two fantasy episodes of your life with
     Debian, if you were to make a movie or a comic strip about yourself as a
     Debian protagonist?

- Q: What Debian distribution are you using?