Re: "Social Contract GR's Affect on sarge" or "Debian commits suicide"

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 10:27:53AM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 01:51:46PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 07:08:26PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> > > I really don't see any evidence that the GR was intended to do anything
> > > but clarify existing consensus, and I think these accusations are both
> > > unfair and unproductive.
> > Dude, I know it's popular to think everyone that disagrees with you
> > is grated cheese; but there was no consensus that the social contract
> > required documentation to be free.
> I find this assertion unlikely, especially since I spent so much time
> asking around. And one of us has a tally sheet that supports their
> position.

Yup, one of us does.

Consensus requires unanimity; and even rough consensus requires something
pretty close to that.

39 people voted for further discussion, which is to say 18% of folks
who voted don't appear to have agreed with your interpretation. That's not
a consensus.

] Consensus decision making requires that everyone agrees with a
] decision; not just a majority as occurs in majority-rule processes. In
] consensus-based processes, people must work together to develop an
] agreement that is good enough (though not necessarily perfect) that all
] of the people at the table are willing to agree to it.
      -- www.colorado.edu/conflict/peace/glossary.htm

] An agreement can be adopted by consensus rather than by
] a vote when there are no stated objections from delegations.
      -- unfccc.int/siteinfo/glossary.html

> I'd say there was consensus, and a small number of people
> with their fingers in their ears, going "LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU".

Well, if you didn't have consensus before, that's certainly the best
attitude to adopt to achieve it.

Cheers,
aj

Don't assume I speak for anyone but myself. GPG signed mail preferred.

Protect Open Source in Australia from over-reaching changes to IP law
http://www.petitiononline.com/auftaip/ & http://www.linux.org.au/fta/