Re: DRAFT for a GR proposal concerning the Sarge release

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 00:03:15 +0200, Martin Pitt <martin@piware.de> said:

> We, the Debian Developers, will aim to release Sarge as soon as
> technically possible (concerning release critical bugs and the
> installer) by following the current release plan[1]. We are aware of
> the fact that both Woody and Sarge contain components that violate
> the current Social Contract (since they are not free in the sense of
> the Debian Free Software Guidelines) and the GNU General Public

	The former is fine, this merely reinstates the former release
 policy. But wilfully distributing software that violates the license
 it is shipped under is illegal; and we no longer have a right to
 distribute it.

	It is one thing to unknowingly violate a license (though it
 probably does nor reduce the liability); delibratly distributing
 copyrighted software after you knew you did not have the right to
 distribute it is another.

	Also, please do not use this GR to put forth a release policy
 that is far more lax than what we had before.

> This proposal does not mean that I don't care about GPL/SC
> violations, it is essentially important that we fix them, but in my
> opinion legal impacts and releasing are quite orthogonal to each
> other.

	As long it is not you facing the fines/jail time

	manoj
--
"I say we take off; nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be
sure." Corporal Hicks, in "Aliens"