Re: DRAFT for a GR proposal concerning the Sarge release

[I'm not subscribed to -legal]

Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 02:22:58AM +0200, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> > Currently those concerns are vented by people who aren't authors
> > of kernel stuff.
>
> Indeed: it's by people who are concerned about violating the licensing
> terms of those who are.

Exactly.
An unrelated third party, whose stance doesn't matter for the issue.

> > >From what I gathered, the vast majority of kernel developers sees
> > it as not-a-problem, and none is interested in suing his fellow
> > developers. (Doing so may well result in the removal of that
> > developer's contributions, as that would minimize the amount of
> > damage.)
>
> That might be of little consolation to the people being sued for copyright
> infringement.

The only one who can sue is a copyright holder, and he'll first have
to sue the offender successfully over the alleged GPL violation. The
potentially affected people don't seem to be overly concerned about
that prospect.

Thiemo