Re: DRAFT for a GR proposal concerning the Sarge release

Hi Manoj!

On 2004-04-27 18:02 -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	The former is fine, this merely reinstates the former release
>  policy. But wilfully distributing software that violates the license
>  it is shipped under is illegal; and we no longer have a right to
>  distribute it.
>
> 	It is one thing to unknowingly violate a license (though it
>  probably does nor reduce the liability); delibratly distributing
>  copyrighted software after you knew you did not have the right to
>  distribute it is another.

Then I suggest to immediately switch off all Debian FTP mirrors, since
we do ship these packages at the moment, and we _know_ that they
violate the GPL.

> 	Also, please do not use this GR to put forth a release policy
>  that is far more lax than what we had before.

See above in the thread, I noticed my fault and revoked the proposal anyway.

> > This proposal does not mean that I don't care about GPL/SC
> > violations, it is essentially important that we fix them, but in my
> > opinion legal impacts and releasing are quite orthogonal to each
> > other.
>
> 	As long it is not you facing the fines/jail time

I don't understand the reason for this comment. If you are really
afraid of being sued and fined/jailed, then go and make sure we don't
distribute any package any more *now*.

(Why this whole story reminds me of a three-letter company in Utah,
who obviously did similar things?)

Have a nice day!

Martin

--
Martin Pitt                 Debian GNU/Linux Developer
martin@piware.de                      mpitt@debian.org