On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 02:56:50PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	Well, in my eyes, you were already doing the former (since I
>  thought that it was obvious that the SC applied to everything on the
>  CD). I realize now that what was obvious to me was not so for
>  everyone else.

For comparison, here's some quotes from a post to -devel in 1998:

 I think not. I think the DFSG has been designed for software; and there
 is a reason for wanting free software -- when we start talking about
 books and novels and graphic novels and standards and opinions, I think
 the old criterion (and certainly the reasons for the old criterion)
 do not fit anymore.

 I seem to see people having a knee jerk reaction about this --
 we strongly advocate the DFSG for software, so it must be good for
 everything else -- but I think if you examine *why* we advocate free
 software, and what that says about community building, that the same
 conditions do not apply here.

 I think we are not yet ready to name them. I have pointed out a few
 cases where the DFSG may be too limited because it was designed to cover
 software issues. If we are trying to define acceptable document licences,
 I think we may have to rethink the issues involved.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-policy/1998/debian-policy-199808/msg00109.html

Cheers,
aj

Don't assume I speak for anyone but myself. GPG signed mail preferred.

Protect Open Source in Australia from over-reaching changes to IP law
http://www.petitiononline.com/auftaip/ & http://www.linux.org.au/fta/