Re: [rms@gnu.org: Free Software Needs Free Documentation]

Hi,
>>"Marcus" == Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

 >> I have strong views about standards compliance, since I have
 >> been burned too often.

 Marcus> Yes, and this is good. But we all have strong views about
 Marcus> free software, too, and those are conflicting here (are
 Marcus> they?).

	I think not. I think the DFSG has been designed for software;
 and there is a reason for wanting free software -- when we start
 talking about Books and novels and graphic novels and standards and
 opinions, I think the old criterion (and certainly the reasons for
 the old criterion) do not fit anymore.

	I seem to see people having a knee jerk reaction about this --
 we strongly advocate the DFSG for software, so it must be good for
 everything else -- but I think if you examine *why* we advocate free
 software, and what that says about community building, that the same
 conditions do not apply here.

 Marcus> Remember that we promise our users that the Main distribution
 Marcus> is free, completely. There are already subtle but valid
 Marcus> exceptions (copyright licenses, emails). We have to make a
 Marcus> decision where to draw the line.

	So, we are going to throw out the GPL and the artistic licence
 from the distribution? I think that would be extremely silly.

 Marcus> As you seem to agree that "orig source with patches", "name
 Marcus> change" and "marking changes" is okay, and those are already
 Marcus> granted by the dfsg, I don't know what you are argueing
 Marcus> here. Should we also allow further restricitions than those
 Marcus> already allowed by the dfsg? Please name them.

	I think we are not yet rready to name them. I have pointed out
 a few cases where the DFSG may be too limited because it was designed
 to cover software issues. If we are trying to define acceptable
 document licences, I think we may have to rethink the issues
 involved.

	manoj
--
 There is no such thing as pure pleasure; some anxiety always goes
 with it.