Re: config.sub and config.status in the diff?

martin f krafft wrote:
>   cp -f /usr/share/misc/config.sub config.sub
>   cp -f /usr/share/misc/config.guess config.guess
>
> This has the effect that config.s{ub,tatus} are included in the
> generated .diff.gz file. Is this the intention? I think they should
> not be part of the diff. What's the motivation here?

Sometimes the upstream files use libtool, which uses config.guess, and
config.guess is too old to recognize one of the non-x86 architectures
such as ia64.  Something needs to happen to enable the package to
build on those architectures.  Updating the config.guess is just
natural.  That it is included in the diff.gz is just a side-effect.

I remembered this being discussed previously.  Here are a couple of