Re: config.sub and config.status in the diff?

martin f krafft wrote:
> I see this construct in many debian/rules files:
>
> clean:
>   [...]
>
>   -$(MAKE) distclean
> ifneq "$(wildcard /usr/share/misc/config.sub)" ""
>   cp -f /usr/share/misc/config.sub config.sub
> endif
> ifneq "$(wildcard /usr/share/misc/config.guess)" ""
>   cp -f /usr/share/misc/config.guess config.guess
> endif
>

> This has the effect that config.s{ub,tatus} are included in the
> generated .diff.gz file. Is this the intention?

Actually, it has the effect of updating the existing config.{sub,guess}
with the build machine's one, if available.

> I think they should
> not be part of the diff. What's the motivation here?

Basically there are two possible strategies for autotools-using
packages. Either distribute none of those files and define a build
dependency for autotools-dev, or distribute all of them and get
rid of the build dependency.

Thiemo