Re: more evil firmwares found

On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 03:18:14AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > What is stupid is to refer to things that are not programs as
> > programs.  If DFSG meant that the source code for "every single bit"
> > in Debian needs to be made available, then it should have made that
> > statement, rather than adopting the much more sensible approach of
> > requiring source for each "program" to be made available.
>
> 	It did indeed mena that, as Bruce has already clarified.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200308/msg00690.html

*snip*
From: bruce@perens.com (Bruce Perens)
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:29:09 -0700
Subject: Re: DFSG intent question

When designing the DFSG, I was considering the contents of a Debian CD,
much like the Official Debian ISO image, containing all of the Debian
software and documentation. I don't remember if I made the official CD
policy before or after the DFSG. I intended for the entire contents of
that CD to be under the rights stated in the DSFG - be they software,
documentation, or data.
*snip*

I don't see any ambiguity: as far as the original intention of the DFSG
is concerned, documentation and every other stream of bits comprising
Debian is software.

--
Glenn Maynard