Re: more evil firmwares found

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 00:37:13 -0500, Ryan Underwood <nemesis-lists@icequake.net> said:

> On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 04:15:53PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
>> > the Csound code for the instruments, in order to not have a
>> > non-free dependency.
>> This has been explained.  :-)

> Where?

>> I'm not extending the definition; I'm using the old-fashioned
>> general definition.  The definition you're using here is synonymous
>> with "computer program", an older and unambiguous term.  The word
>> "software" was, I have been told, invented specifically to describe
>> not just that, but also all the other stuff on the computer which
>> wasn't hardware.  And it's a useful word, for which there is no
>> other word; it's stupid to use it as a synonym for "program".

> What is stupid is to refer to things that are not programs as
> programs.  If DFSG meant that the source code for "every single bit"
> in Debian needs to be made available, then it should have made that
> statement, rather than adopting the much more sensible approach of
> requiring source for each "program" to be made available.

	It did indeed mena that, as Bruce has already clarified.

> You're right.  So go with the former interpretation.  DFSG#2
> requires all programs to have source code available.  There is a
> typical and obvious division between a program and its supporting
> materials.  My claim is that only through a massive logical leap can
> we declare the supporting materials to fall under the definition of
> "program" as well.  This leap is what is required to remove a freely
> licensed albeit indeterminate binary-blob from Debian on a DFSG
> basis.

	The DFSG, in my opinion, shouyld apply to all software, as it
 was clearly meant to when it was discussed and written.

> Either way, DFSG#2 cannot be construed to apply to such things even
> in the strictest of readings.  Most of the Social Contract refers to
> "software", where DFSG#2 refers to "program".  Why the verbal
> distinction if there was not an intent for there ever to be a
> distinction in practice?

	I see we have to go through another GR to clean up the DFSG as
 well.

	manoj
--
Having a baby isn't so bad.  If you're a female Emperor penguin in the
Antarctic.  She lays the egg, rolls it over to the father, then takes