Re: Security Supporting Debian Kernels in Sarge

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 09:47:44AM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:

> * Matt Zimmerman (mdz@debian.org) [040424 02:55]:
> > The problem is not with compilation or testing, but with actually keeping
> > the code up-to-date with bugfixes.
>
> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that this task is easier
> if the code is only for one m68k-subarch, and you can e.g. drop all
> problems in i386-specific code, and also don't have extra
> kernel-patches to apply (because all needed patches are actually in
> the one source package applied).

Having a single subarch would make compilation easier, but as I said, that
isn't really the problem.  Most kernel vulnerabilities are not
architecture-specific.

We are capable of supporting a limited number of versions of the kernel
source.  Supporting many architectures is not a huge problem if they can all
build from the same small set of kernel-source versions.

--
 - mdz